P-Meth – Information
Know the dangers of meth and P contamination in properties
What is Meth?
Methamphetamine is an illegal Class A drug which is extremely addictive and a powerful stimulant
What is Meth Contamination?
Meth contamination is the residue and byproducts left behind on surfaces after meth has been used, manufactured, distributed or stored within a property. Most home meth contamination occurs as a result of use (smoking), not necessary manufacturing. The chemicals used to make meth are poisonous, explosive, toxic, and extremely flammable and these contaminants can easily be absorbed into building materials, fixtures, fittings, and household items. Anybody that comes into contact with meth contamination can ingest the meth through their skin, or by touching contaminated surfaces then transferring the chemicals to their mouth, nose, or eyes.
Clandestine Meth Lab Contamination
A clandestine lab is a property used secretively for the illicit manufacturing of methamphetamine. Meth labs, clan labs or P labs are what these makeshift labs are often called and their contamination levels are vastly different from just a user site where P is consumed by smoking. P Labs pose a real nightmare for property owners, where structural damage and contamination come at a high remediation cost. Even so, Local Cleaning can do full remediation on most of these affected buildings.
What is deemed acceptable levels of meth contamination?
A methamphetamine post-decontamination level of 1.5 μg/100 cm2 or less is appropriate to minimise exposure risk in high-use areas of a property, whereas limited-use areas like roof spaces of a property will be decontaminated to a level of 3.8 μg/100 cm2 or less. (Please refer to the NZS 8510:2017 for more clarity).
Defining 1.5μg: The symbol “μg” refers to microgram which is a millionth of a gram. In other words, 1.5μg/100 cm2 Micrograms (1.5 millionth of a gram) per 100 square centimetres area.
Renting a property affected by methamphetamine (‘P’)
Landlords must provide a clean property. Both landlords and tenants should check for any signs of meth before they rent a property. If landlords rent out properties that are contaminated by P, they are breaching their obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act 1986, as well as other legislation such as the Building Act and the Health Act. The police and some local authorities have procedures to notify local councils when they identify contaminated properties. Read more here.
Need help with drug addiction?
If you, or someone you know, needs help with drug addiction, please get in touch with one of these organisations.
Drughelp.org.nz is a place for New Zealanders to share their stories of meth addiction, their insights and road to recovery.
The Alcohol Drug Helpline provides free and confidential support. Experienced counsellors are on hand to listen and provide help.
NZ Drug Foundation is taking lead in Aotearoa New Zealand educating, advising and standing up for healthy approaches to alcohol and other drugs.
NZ Police – Methamphetamine and the Law
We can answer all your concerns, give us a call today.
- We can totally remove all traces of Meth contaminants from your property
- We manage all meth cleans responsibly and discreetly
- Stress-Free solutions to your meth cleanups
- We decontaminate for as little as $2000
- We GUARANTEE you successful results
- We help with your insurance claim
- Our reports are legally defensible
- Meth contamination could have implications on your property’s LIM report
- Meth cleanups on a average residential house takes around 3 – 7 days
- We do meth cleanups for hotels, motels and commercial buildings.
- We can remove a full spectrum of bad odours
- Our detailed process will reinstate your building to be healthy and habitable again.
- Our proprietary cleaning products deliver exceptional results
- We remove and dispose of contaminated materials responsibly
- We issue property clearance certificates of approval
- We are regulatory compliant to the decontamination standard
- We offer a comprehensive, total peace of mind, P decontamination service
- We helped others in your situation
- All your answers a just a phone call away – Call now.
- A detailed meth test can save you thousands on decontamination.